Even though it is warm outside right now, us Chicago natives know this warm weather will not last, and we will be kicking our furnaces back on sooner rather than later. (I’m hoping not tonight!) However, there are a few signs that you may need a Chicago furnace repair:
- Is your utility bill continually increasing? For example, here in Chicago, we have had an uncharacteristically warm winter. If you are still seeing your heating bill increasing, there may be something wrong with your duct work, thermostat, or your Chicago furnace can’t handle the load on it.
- Is your furnace making weird noises like creaking? Creaking can be a sign of defective or loose part. If you have never opened up your Chicago furnace before, you will want to hire a Chicago HVAC heating company to come take a look. If you don’t know what the inside of a Chicago furnace looks like, you will not be able to diagnose this issue yourself.
- Is the pilot light flame blue? If the pilot light flame is not blue, you may have an issue. For example, if it is yellow, you may have some carbon monoxide present, and carbon monoxide is not something you want to mess with it on your own! Carbon monoxide can cause nausea and flu-like symptoms. If you have carbon monoxide in sufficient amounts trapped in your home, it can actually kill you! Another issue is a fire or explosion set off by any spark in your home. This is one of those cases you definitely want to have a Chicago HVAC heating company come out and take a look. A yellow flame could just be dirt, but you would much rather be safe than sorry.
- What is the age of your furnace? The average life expectancy of Chicago furnaces is between 16 and 20 years. If your Chicago furnace is in that age range (or older), you may want to start shopping before your Chicago furnace goes out in the middle of the night.
- When did you do maintenance on your Chicago furnace last? Are you changing your filters monthly? Have you had your local Chicago heating company come out and clean your furnace out in the last year? To keep your Chicago furnace running in tip top shape, you will need to do regular maintenance.
Enjoy this warm weather while it lasts. However, keep in mind these 5 signs to know if you need a Chicago furnace repair!