With air conditioner season right around the corner, it is time to start thinking about installing a new air conditioner. Now, if you live in South Loop, BuckTown, Wicker Park, or the West Loop, you may have started looking already with the sixty degree day we had today! However, there are a few things you will want to think about before you purchase a new air conditioner.
- Buy your new air conditioner in the off season (which would be right now!). There is more availability and better deals in the off season than during the regular season. Don’t wait until your air conditioning unit breaks.
- Know what kind of air conditioner you need. Air conditioners have different efficiencies and know what you are wanting before you have a HVAC technician at your home will save you time and stress.
- Allow a HVAC company (like Around The Town) come to your home. They need to see what you already have and see what your house needs, so they can tell you if you need a bigger or even a smaller unit.
- Make sure you check out the warranty. Every warranty is different, and they all don’t cover the same things!
- Check for rebates. Many times manufactures offer rebates on their products.
- Make sure the new unit will run quietly. Nowadays, there are many air conditioners that you won’t ever hear. You don’t want a unit that you can hear every time it runs.
- Make sure your estimate has labor costs included in it. Some HVAC contractors may give you a price for only the unit and not include the installation price.
- Get several estimates, and make sure you are comparing apples to apples.
- Think about what your plans are for your home. If you plan on renovating and/or adding rooms, you need to tell your HVAC contractor that. You may need a bigger unit, and that is an expensive lesson to learn later on when your home isn’t cooling well.
- Check and see if your local HVAC company has a maintenance agreement. These involve having the air conditioning checked in the spring and the heating checked in the fall. Regular check-ups can prevent repair or safety problems and help your air conditioning unit work in peak performance. You don’t have to remember to do the work, and it is done correctly.
Hopefully our list of tips will help you in your next purchase of a new air conditioner in Bucktown, South Loop, Wicker Park, or West Loop! What things do you look for in a new air conditioner?